2016 New Year's ResolutionI've come up with a New Year's Resolution! It's going to be hard some days and easy on others. But my New Year's Resolution is going to be to answer rudeness and anger with calm, politeness and kindness.
Sometimes, when people close to me use angry, mean or rude voices to talk to me, I respond with anger and rudeness right back. I've decided that is a real flaw in my behavior and it's taking revenge on them. I am going to assume that they would never go out of their way to hurt me intentionally and that something else must be bothering them. I'm going to be kind in my reply and work to diffuse any angry situations.
I think I'll have an easier time with people I know and love. I know they love me back. They don't mean it.
It's going to be harder with strangers. I know many people go out of their way to hurt others intentionally, to take out their anger or try and get their way or just try to cause problems. But I'm not going to contribute to the problem. I'm going to answer anger with kindness, no matter who brings the anger, no matter when it happens, to the best of my ability.
This doesn't mean I'll stand there and take abuse, but I won't respond by getting angry and trying to take revenge or 'win.' I will walk away when I need to. I will help when I can and when it's possible.
In addition to my resolution, I want to set some goals. I've done this for previous years for things like submissions of my writing, freelance writing clients and income, physical fitness challenges, and reading books.
I had some real writing success in 2015, including my first sales to Highlights for Children! I also finally got my email newsletter up and running and published TWO new ebooks for kids. Check out Dinosaur Boogie and Fun Fresh Food Ideas for Kids if you haven't already.
So here are my plans for 2016:
1. Read 100 books (again).
2. Have a new novel to pitch at conferences. Either the bee one, the iPod one, or the running one. Not sure.
3. Attend a new writing conference. Right now I'm thinking either the Cleveland SCBWI conference or the LA SCBWI conference. Any other suggestions?
4. I'd love to set some biking or swimming goals again, but last year I found it very tough to fit in the training for a triathlon with my increased writing work. But I think I'd like to try and complete a triathlon again but I may have to settle for trying a new race. Have any suggestions?
5. I'd love to run the Credit Union Cherry Blossom in under 90 minutes again and beat my fundraising goal for 2016. Don't forget to donate!!
6. I'd like to run a mile under 7:00. That's 4x400 in 1:45, or 4 sub- 2:00 quarters. I should be able to do that, if I keep my strength and speed training strong.
7. I plan to continue to advocate as a member of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense. I want to find out how many welcome calls I made in 2015 and beat that total in 2016.
8. My family volunteers frequently for the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, but we've never done a gleaning activity. 2016 could be the year!
Those are some good goals for 2016. It's a leap year, so I'll have an extra day to fit it all in. Wish me luck, and I wish you luck on your goals and resolutions. Happy New Year!!